Tuesday, August 21, 2007

№ 63 Memorandum of conversation Josef Stalin with Franklin Roosevelt

1 December 1943 15 hours. 20 min.

(from Russian)

Roosevelt. In the United States a question about the start of Baltic republics in the Soviet Union can be raised, and I assume that world public opinion will consider it desirable so that sometime in the future in some manner will be expressed the opinion of the peoples of these republics on this question. Therefore I hope that Marshal Stalin will take this wish into attention. I personally do not have any doubts about the fact that the peoples of these countries will vote so harmoniously for the connection to the Soviet Union, as they made in 1940.

Stalin. Lithuania, Estonia and Latvia did not have autonomy before the revolution in Russia. The Tsar was then in the union with the United States and with England, and no one raised the question about the conclusion of these countries from the composition of Russia. Why is this question asked now?

Roosevelt. The fact is that public opinion does not know history. I would want to have a talk with Marshal Stalin about the home situation in the United States. Next year in the United States elections will be in prospect. I do not desire to advance my candidacy, but if war is continued, then perhaps I will be since I am forced to make this decision. In America there are millions of citizens of Polish origin, and therefore, being a practical person, I would not want to lose their concerns. I am agreeable with Marshal Stalin to the fact that we must restore the Polish state, and personally I do not have objections to the borders of Poland being moved from the east to the West - up to Oder, but for political reasons I cannot participate at present in the resolution of this question. I consider Marshal Stalin's ideas, I hope that he will understand, why I cannot publicly participate in resolution of this question here, in Teheran, or even in the spring of next year.

Stalin. After the explanation of Roosevelt this I understand.

Roosevelt. In the United States there is also a certain quantity of Lithuanians, Latvians and Estonians. I know that Lithuania, Latvia and Estonia and in the past and very recently composed the part of the Soviet Union, and, when the Russian armies again enter into these republics, not to camp for war because of this with the Soviet Union. But public opinion can require conducting there a plebiscite.

Stalin. As far as voleiz"yavleniya of the peoples of Lithuania, Latvia and Estonia is concerned, we have numerous cases to give to the peoples of these republics the possibility to express its will.

Roosevelt. This will be to me useful.

Stalin. This, of course, it does not mean that the plebiscite in these republics must pass under any form of international control.

Roosevelt. Certainly, no. It would be useful to state at the appropriate moment, that the selections take place in their time in these republics.

Stalin. Certainly, this can be will be made. I would want to know, was resolved finally a question about the departure tomorrow.

Roosevelt. They reported to me that there will tomorrow be the blagopri­yatnaya weather. it remained a little the questions, which we can discuss this evening. Tomorrow in the morning I will intend to depart...


Source: Teheran conference of the leaders of three union powers - USSR, THE USA and Great Britain. M., 1978. S. 123 - 169.
OCR, working and the formulation: Mikhail koval'chuk
velikiye are the lords of the past
FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com